When it comes to managing incontinence related problems, men actually have a lot of options, these days. On the basis of the kind of incontinence that a person has, men can go for undergarments or underwear like the male incontinence pads or adult diapers. The indwelling or internal catheter happens to be another option that the men adopt for controlling their incontinence.
While getting a plethora of options to choose from is great, you still have to aware about the various risks involved with incontinence controlling products. Some of them are enlisted below.
Risks Involved While Using Internal Catheters
The catheters are used when incontinence is unmanageable and surgeries and medication cannot reduce it. While the devices are quite effective there can be side-effects or major risks involved like the following.
- Damage to the Urethra or Skin- The area around the catheter can become swollen or red or you can observe tender skin in the place. You and your caregiver should look out for such things which are signs of infection and should not ignored.
- Higher Risk of UTI – With the indwelling catheter, there are more chances of the bacteria to enter the urinary tract enhancing the chances of UTI. This can lead to higher chances of UTI.
- Discomfort or Pain –The placement of urinary catheter is quite painful itself and also some men report of constant discomfort from wearing these.
Risks Involved While Using Adult Diapers and Incontinence Pads in Men
At the time of using incontinence pads and adult diapers, some men face the following types of issues. Just read on to know.
- General Discomfort – First of all, when not changed on time, you can keep feeling wet continuously with these products on. If your care giver is not taking proper care then you may have to keep sitting in the wet diaper or pad for hours together. That is not a very comfortable feeling.
- Pungent Odour – At the time when the urine comes in contact with the oxygen in the air an ammonia like odour is formed. It is true that, in most cases, normal urine does not come with a foul odour. But the patient suffering from incontinence may drink less amount of water for controlling the ailment. As a result of that, the urine formed is highly concentrated. This can be an embarrassing side-effect of using adult diapers. But if you drink about 6-8 glasses of water per day, then the situation can be managed.
- Diaper Rash – Diaper rash is a condition that develops when the skin is exposed to moisture for a long time. Other than that, if the wearer is allergic to the material then that can also lead to skin irritation.
The above are some of the risks associated with the usage of internal catheter as well as the incontinence pads and adult diapers. One way to prevent such a situation from cropping up is to use top-notch and reputed products like the quality adult diapers online bought from a reliable online store and adhering to the personal hygiene and instructions that come with the product or are suggested by your physician.